Buckwheat Noodle Salad with Grilled Tofu & Roasted Red Peppers
Deborah Madison’s Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone is a kitchen library essential. If you have ever wondered what to do with the strange vegetables that come in your CSA box, or how to cook the bunch of gorgeous greens you picked up at the Farmer’ s Market, this cookbook is an indispensable resource. This salad is great at room temperature, and a great option for a meatless meal that is still high in protein and gluten free.
(TOFU AND MARINADE)
- 1 package Chinese-style firm tofu (about 16 – 20 oz)
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons dark (or toasted) sesame oil
- 1/3 cup mirin (rice wine vinegar)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dark brown sugar (or light)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves (minced, but preferably pressed)
- 1 tablespoon ginger (minced, but preferably grated fine)
- 2 pinches red pepper flakes (or more for more heat)
- 2 roasted red bell peppers - sliced into thin strips (save on time by using jarred variety, but make sure the ingredients are basic)
- 12 ounces packaged soba noodles
- 1 bunch scallions - thinly sliced including a little of the greens
- 2 tablespoons toasted black or white sesame seeds
- Cut the tofu into 3/8″ thick slices and set on paper towels to drain.
- Meanwhile, whisk the remaining marinade ingredients together in a pie plate.
- Add the tofu, gently toss to coat, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Prepare the grill, grill pan, or broiler. This recipe is best with blackened grill marks on the tofu!
- Grill the tofu (reserve the marinade) until browned on both sides, cut into strips.
- Boil the noodles according to package directions.
- Toss the noodles with the remaining marinade, tofu, scallions, cilantro, and peppers.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and enjoy!