Decadent Date Granola
Whip up a double batch of this awesome granola to have on hand for breakfast and snacks all week. Don’t be afraid to experiment with using different natural sweeteners (agave, maple syrup, honey, brown rice syrup), nuts, and dried fruits. You can use this recipe as a baseline and create your own crunchy and nutritious masterpiece. This is a great healthy hostess gift or holiday gift for friends and family! Just put it in a mason jar and tie with a cute festive ribbon. Voila!
I love to eat a half cup of this granola with a sliced banana, blueberries and unsweetened nut milk. Or try sprinkling a handful on top of your favorite smoothie for breakfast or a filling snack.
- 2 cups old-fashioned gluten-free oats
- 3/4 cup whole almonds, halved
- 1/2 cup flaked or shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/3 cup (packed) brown sugar (or maple syrup)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter (or organic coconut oil)
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1 cup (packed) pitted dates, each cut crosswise into fourths
Preheat oven to 300°F. Mix first 7 ingredients in large bowl. Melt butter and cook until golden brown (or melt oil) in heavy small saucepan over low heat. Add honey and stir to combine. Pour over granola mixture and toss well. Spread out mixture on baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add dates; mix to separate any clumps. Continue to bake until granola is golden brown, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes longer. Cool. Do ahead Can be made 2 weeks ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.