Sweet and Savory Quinoa Salad
Andrea brought this dish to one of our workshops, and everyone requested the recipe. This is great for those who are timid of or inexperienced in the kitchen…because there are no exact measurements and you can feel like the brilliant creative healthy chef that you truly are! If you want to save time, you can use a fresh, organic, prepared pico de gallo salsa (read the ingredients!) in place of the onion, tomato, and cilantro). If you eat meat, trying tossing in some shredded or chopped organic chicken, and serve on a bed of raw spinach to make this a one bowl meal!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water or high-quality organic broth (homemade is best!)
- red, white, or green onion to taste, chopped fine
- jalapeño to taste, chopped fine
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped, or a handful or two of cherry tomatoes, halved
- cilantro to taste, chopped fine
- feta cheese (if you tolerate dairy well) or avocado, diced fine…or BOTH!
- mango, diced
- ground black pepper and sea salt to taste
- Cook quinoa according to package directions, or if you buy in bulk cook it like you would rice. Bring water/broth to a boil, add quinoa, reduce heat and cover. Let simmer until all the broth is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and let cool. If you want it to cool quickly, you can spread it out on a cookie sheet.
- In the mean time, prepare other ingredients and place in a large bowl.
- Toss in cooled quinoa. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on a bed of raw spinach to get your GREEN on!
*Want it sweeter? Add more mango! More savory? Add more cheese. It’s fun & easy. You really can’t mess it up. Let us know how it goes when you make it!!!